[ RadSafe ] " Technology to detect radiation has progressed "

Jim Hardeman Jim_Hardeman at dnr.state.ga.us
Fri Aug 24 13:46:41 CDT 2007

George --

You hit the proverbial nail on the proverbial head -- the highest priority for use of handheld (and fixed portal) radionuclide identification systems these days seems to be detection of HEU and WgPu. For HEU in particular, there seems to be a large potential for "false positives" -- and each one of those false positives is going to result in a LOT of effort to properly adjudicate. God forbid that there should also be a concurrent neutron hit ...

Jim

>>> "Geo>K0FF" <GEOelectronics at netscape.com> 8/24/2007 12:33 >>>
Hi Jim, I have spent considerable time on the telephone discussing this very
issue with SAIC, as their GR-135 does a similar thing with Fiestaware/U-Ore
etc.

First it should be recognized that each of these manufacturers use a
different algorithm to attempt to nail down certain isotopes, all of which
are proprietary, and only discussed in general terms.

The more isotopes in the library, the more chance of a false reading.

SAIC generally looks for a *PAIR* of unique peaks before the software will
give a positive analysis, but in some cases, only one will suffice if it is
essentially uncluttered by interference peaks.

The more complex the mixture of isotopes ( multitude of peaks), the harder
it is to make a positive ID.
Any system can identify a Cs-137 source, if all alone.

Fiesta Ware and other Uranium glazed pottery comes in two flavors. That made
before WW2, contains purified Uranium with the natural mixture of
U-235/U-238 intact (~.711% '235). This kind has a high 185 keV peak and will
be identified as U-235, as the SNM ( special nuclear material) has a very
high priority in the use of these instruments.

Generally all U bearing products for consumer use made after WW2 contain
purified Depleted Uranium ( reduced U-235 proportion ~.2%). This may or may
not be detected as DU.

These products contain Uranium chemically separated from its daughters in
both cases, and do not therefore presently contain Radium.

Uranium ORE in its natural equilibrium state contains Radium and Ra
daughters also. The Radium is identified as such by some combination of Ra
and daughter peaks (a secret). Ra-226 is identified as NATural  U, seldom as
Ra-226.

Here is an interesting report concerning false positive reading from the
best of today's pony-and-shoot ID'ers.:
http://www.ortec ( http://www.ortec/ )-online.com/papers/la_ur_03_4020.pdf

There is no question that we are far from perfect in our technology, but the
push is one, and the public may or may not ever
gain knowledge of the true state of the art ( as it should be).

One newly developed isotope Identifier, designed at LANL, is available under
the brand name Quantrad Ranger Plus. In the $20,000 USD price range, it has
a NaI(Tl) Gamma sensor and two He3 neutron sensors. The software is awesome,
very adaptive, and will make a positive ID in as few as 2 or 3 seconds,
depending only on the quality of the signal presented to it. Most other
units have a fixed count time. I have personally used these and like them a
lot, although they tend more towards the point-and-shoot.

As an industry, we are only a few months away from pocket Rad pager/
Cellphone combinations that will make the man on the street merely a mobile
platform from which information is fed to a central control. Someone
mentioned the lack of any Alpha-Beta detection in these units. Quite
correct, and this too will have to be addressed. I myself was in Oak Ridge
with mobile Gamma detectors at the time of the Sr-90 spill a few years back.
Naturally, I could have driven through a foot of it and not detected
anything ( pure beta emitter). Pure beta emitters are somewhat rare, but
there are a number of them in everyday use: Sr-90, H-3, C-14, P-32 et. al.

The software/hardware will come up to speed, because it MUST come up to
speed. We ( the USA) as a nation seem to be unable or unwilling generally
embrace the high tech arts.

H1-B visas anyone?

George Dowell