[ RadSafe ] Accelerated weathering of borosilicate glass

Mon Aug 27 11:51:16 CDT 2007

First of all, I have to say that I am not in favor of disposal of
weapons grade Pu: I believe it should be used as fuel in reactors, and
be a resource rather than a waste.  Be that as it may, and acknowledging
that I don't know more about this experiment than what is mentioned in
this abstract, I do know a modest amount about the way they plan to
dispose of things at Yucca Mountain, and as an ex-submariner, I have a
fair understanding of the behavior of water under pressure.

So, as I understand it, the glass containing the waste is inside an can,
which is inside a canister, which is inside a chamber, which is inside
the Mountain.  The outside of the Mountain (and any man-made tunnels and
spaces within it) is presumably at one atmosphere pressure.  With the
possible exception of the glass and the can, there is presumably a gap
of some size between the exterior of one layer of containment and the
interior of the one that contains it (the canisters, for example, are
not fit into the rock with no space around them.  If any of these
assumptions are wrong or unreasonable, please let me know.

Now, while I do not agree that the protection of the canister and the
can should be discounted, any more than I agree that the
geologic/climatic changes needed to have pressurized water coursing
through the heart of the mountain should be assumed, I will leave those
for the moment.  I will not concede, however, my long held belief that
pressurized water flows from a point of higher pressure to a point of
lower pressure via the path of least resistance.  Water may flow into
dead end spaces while the pressure in that space is less than the
pressure of the flow, but when it equalizes the water pools and the flow
goes elsewhere.  When the flow reaches a space at a lower pressure the
stream drops to that pressure until it can flood it enough to build up
the pressure.  If the space is open to the atmosphere that never
happens, and the movement of the water is dictated by gravity.

Given that, I have to say that I can't envision any set of
circumstances, up to and including an earthquake that collapses the
mountain, in which the path of least resistance for a 6 atmosphere
stream of water is into the chamber, into the canister, into the can,
across the glass, out of the can, out of the canister, and out of the
chamber.

So this experiment seems to require poor management, poor engineering,
bad QA, seismic and climatic changes of epic proportions, and selective
suspension of the laws of physics.

And the ironic thing is that even given all of that, they still can't
build a scenario in which someone is harmed, because the amount of water
needed to weather the glass would dilute the material to infinitesimal
levels by the time it could get to where someone could drink it.