[ RadSafe ] Facts: breast cancer, "radioactive wires implanted", "localiz...

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 08:17:08 CDT 2007

To clarify, as the owner of PET-production cyclotrons
and scanners, we are under the understanding that the
NRC will be involved with the licensing of medical
cyclotrons that produce radionuclides for PET imaging.
 They will not be involved with PET imaging.  The NRC
will, hopefully, confine their involvement to  the
security and inventoring of PET produced
radionuclides, and worker exposures.  The NRC will not
be licensing and regulation medical accelerators of
patient treatment because nothing radioactive is
produced for distribution.

We learned that even though we produce PET
radionuclides that do not leave out facility, we are
"producing" facility as if you were a commercial
radiopharmcy.

--- BLHamrick at aol.com wrote:

> Just to clarify, the U.S. NRC will be regulating PET
> imaging in
> non-Agreement States upon the effective date of the
> NARM rule (or after a  limited
> transition period), which should be published soon.
> For the most  part, Agreement
> States already regulate the use of linear
> accelerators in  medical radiation,
> diagnostic x-ray procedures and PET, although the
> regulation  is independent of
> their Agreement with the NRC.
>
> Just wanted to set the record straight.
>
> Barbara L. Hamrick, JD, CHP

> Daylight Time,
> crispy_bird at yahoo.com writes:
>
> For your  information, the NRC does not regulate the
> use of linear accelerators in  medical radiaton, nor
> diagnostic x-ray procedures, nor PET  imaging.

"All of the old-timers knew that subprime mortgages were what we called neutron loans --  they killed the people and left the houses. . . .
"LOUIS S. BARNES, a partner at Boulder West, a mortgage banking firm.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com