[ RadSafe ] Guidance on Outdoor Gamma Dose Rates - Second Request

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 22:05:41 CDT 2007

Leo,
I do not think there is one for new construction.
Nevertheless, there are some counties and I would
imaging states that require radon monitor and
remediation before you can sell a constructed home.

--- "Leo M. Lowe" <llowe at senes.ca> wrote:

> Dear Radsafers,
>
> I previously sent the query below to Radsafe but I
> have received no
> effects of
> elevated background radiation levels).  To repeat,
> are there any
> reference levels on natural  background gamma
> radiation relative to
> new residential construction?
>
> Feel free to respond to me directly.
> Do you know of any criteria/guidelines for outdoor
> gamma
> dose/exposure rates for natural background
> radiation; that is, given
> that many people live in areas resulting in annual
> doses greater than
> 1, 2, 5 mSv/y or more, is there any guidance on a
> background dose
> rate above which people would be advised not to
> live?  This could be
> an issue, for example, if someone wanted to build a
> house in an area
> with some natural thorium or uranium mineralization.
>
> I am aware of recommended limits for NORM in
> building materials (such
> as the European Commission in Radiation Protection
> 112),  reference
> limits for initiating action for existing situations
> (ICRP 2007 says
> that remedial action is not likely justified below
> 10 mSv/y) and of
> limits for indoor radon, but is there any specific
> guidance on the
> issue of outdoor natural gamma radiation relative to
> new construction?

"All of the old-timers knew that subprime mortgages were what we called neutron loans --  they killed the people and left the houses. . . .
"LOUIS S. BARNES, a partner at Boulder West, a mortgage banking firm.

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com