[ RadSafe ] Re: CT radiation makes LESS cancer and deformity?

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 15:35:38 CST 2007

It is ridiculous to compare CT scans, which only
result in partial body exposures, to the atomic bomb
survivors.

As I have noted in the past, these articles are
controversial and are of little use in a debate on our
current knowledge of radiation risks.

--- howard long <hflong at pacbell.net> wrote:

> Reassure those fearing CT cancer or fetal
> deformities:
> "Is Chronic Radiation an Effective Prophylaxis
> Against Cancer"
> (Chen, Luan et al, J Am Physicians and Surgeons
> 9:1:04)
> "-cobalt-60 - formed into construction steel -10,000
> persons
> occupied for 9-20 years received radiation doses
> that averaged 0.4Sv
> cancer mortality 3.5/100,000 [vs 116 expected],
>  congenital heart malformations 1.5/100,000 [vs 23
> expected]"
>
> Also, from "Breast Cancer Incidence Among Atomic
> Bomb Survivors"
> J Nat Cancer Inst 1979 Jan;62(1):17-21, Land,
> McGregor et al
> Table 2       0       1-9 rad  19-49 rad   50-99 rad
>  100-199 rad  >200 rad
> Observed  109      34         37               11
>            16               18
> Expected   127.8  42.3      33.0              9.4
>           6.5            6.0
>
> NOTE THAT WITH  1 TO 10 REM (rad) THERE IS LESS
> CANCER
> even with the bomb (acute, like CT)
>
> Howard Long MD MPH (epidemiology)

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak, Courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." -- Sir Winston Churchill

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist
e-mail:  crispy_bird at yahoo.com