[ RadSafe ] AAPM Response to NEJM article on CT scans and cancer risk

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Sat Dec 1 20:16:31 CST 2007

Dec. 1

         "increasing at an exponential rate"  This proves nothing.  What is
the exponent, and what is the period of time over which the increase is
occurring?  To illustrate,
one million raised to the exponential power of zero equals one.  Would it
be correct to say that a least squares line could be fitted to any data
set, and that an exponential increase (or decrease) could be calculated for
the line?

         I have personally heard a professional anti-nuker claim in public
that cancer is increasing at an exponential rate.  She was speaking out of
her resounding ignorance, and in an attempt to frighten her listeners.

Steven Dapra

At 02:56 PM 12/1/07 -0800, John Jacobus wrote:
>At http://www.aapm.org/announcements/CTScans.asp
>
>The AAPM Statement on Radiation Dose from Computed Tomography, in response
>to the Brenner and Hall NEJM
>article published Nov 29, 2007.

[edit]