AW: [ RadSafe ] AAPM Response to NEJM article on CT scans and cancer risk

NeilKeeney at aol.com NeilKeeney at aol.com
Mon Dec 3 08:50:27 CST 2007

Radsafers:

I consider I must agree with the viewpoint expressed by many others
concerning imaging exams where there is no apparent need.  My spouse  recently asked
me about the practice, almost universal now, among chiropractors  performing or
obtaining X-ray photos of their patients prior to performing any  services.
She had wanted to take our kids for adjustments and said  that everyone she
had talked with wanted X-rays prior to any  treatment.

I objected to the notion entirely for both the obvious reasons:   1)  I
consider it unnecessary since neither kid has 'suffered' any kind of  bone or
structural injury to their body and 2) I considered it an  unethical business
practice for the domain of Chiro; a group that, in the  main, has had it's mainstay
in more homeopathic treatments or  services.

I told my wife that if she was emotionally attached to doing this, then she
should just offer them $40 bucks to augment their gross income and just skip
the  x-rays.  Naturally we skipped the whole thing...

Neil Keeney

In medicine, as politics, where there is money there
is crime. Cynical,  but true.  One of the issues that I
believe is the new Medicare bill is  the restriction of
reimbursement to physicians who own labs they  refer
patients to.