[ RadSafe ] Am-241 and INCINERATORS

BRISSON Nicolas nicolas.brisson at irsn.fr
Wed Dec 5 09:05:59 CST 2007

Hello all,

Regarding Am-241 and incinerators I can't be of much help because in France all smoke detectors containing radioactive sources (radium-226 and Am-241) have to be sent back to the producer when they are disposed of.
The producer must then extract the source from the detector and send all sources to the ANDRA (the national agency that takes care of the disposal of all radioactive sources and wastes in France, whether they come from the nuclear industry, mecical centers or anywhere else).

Concerning coal-fired power plants, we carry out studies of their radiological impact on workers and nearby inhabitants.
The coal and all the wastes (water, ashes, cinders, smoke) are analysed to assess how much NORM they contain.
As for now, we didn't find much NORM in all these things.
Cinders and ashes contain roughly 10 times more NORM than the coal but it's still low amounts :
	between 100 and 150 Bq/kg for the U-238 and Th-232 families
	same thing for K-40
	around 6 Bq/kg for U-235

Nicolas Brisson
IRSN/DEI/SIAR