[ RadSafe ] Disposal of Am-241 In Smoke Detectors

Walt Cofer radcontrol at embarqmail.com
Wed Dec 5 15:11:47 CST 2007

Gene -

You are correct; it is legal to dispose of smoke detectors containing exempt quantities of Am-241 as normal trash, as long as the sources remain inside the detectors.  If you have multiple detectors, your best approach is to dispose of them individually, in  order to prevent anyone from accumulating enough sources to do something bad with them.

Walt Cofer
Radiation Control, Inc.
Tallahassee, FL
Tel:    (850) 668-8559