[ RadSafe ] Recommendations for ion chamber survey instrument

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Thu Dec 6 09:10:09 CST 2007

Ludlum ion chambers, Model 9 and Model 17 ( 10 keV to 2 MeV plus beta
window) are unique in that they have audio circuits. The sound they make
reminds me of a metal detector.
Both models are nearly identical except for the size of the chamber,
therefore the sensitivity.
Like many ambient-pressure chambers ("air-ion chamber"), they are vented to
atmosphere, making the readings altitude and humidity reliant. Desiccators
are provided, but to me it is a tedious chore to keep them dry.

For this reason alone, I prefer pressurized ion-chambers. As an added bonus,
chambers with very high pressure (20 atm) are made, and have remarkable
sensitivity, as well as flat response.  A typical model number would be
Inovision (Victoreen, Fluke et al.) 451P. Look for the "P" in the model
number. 6 atm pressure, only specified 25 keV. Unfortunately the law of
physics is that a chamber wall strong enough to hold high pressure, is dense
enough to block extraordinarily low energy gamma/ X- rays. It does have
integration. If the use is critical, get 3. One AT the shop, one IN TRANSIT
and one to use.

Vibrating-reed type electrometer based ion-chamber detectors are also very
sensitive and can have thin windows, allowing for low energy detection.
I'm not sure of they would be as suitable for pulsed systems.
http://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q6213.html

While we are on the subject, even though they are NOT for pulsed systems,
the Bicron micro rem ( actual spelling on the device, although the
advertisements capitalize both words)  is a flat-response scintillometer of
remarkable sensitivity. To my personal knowledge it is the only
scintillometer that has a flat response. Normal versions go down to 40 keV,
while the  "low energy" version will go down to 17 keV.

Also depending upon the R.F. environment in your lab, the instrumentation
may be limited to, or at least include so called "RF" versions such as the
venerable 440RF/X series.

I'm thinking that most if not all of the thin-window ion chambers will
actually detect much lower energy that their ratings indicate, however they
may be out of tolerance indication-wise. For example the RO-20 specification
shows +/- 15% above 33 keV and +/- 3-% above 8 keV.

Don't overlook the two piece design, using an electrometer and ion-chamber
probe. These can pretty well be custom tailored to the application.

George Dowell
NLNL
New London Nucleonics Lab