[ RadSafe ] Lucas Height

Chris van den Bergen Christopher.Van-Den-Bergen at adm.monash.edu.au
Thu Dec 6 18:41:02 CST 2007

Hi Radsafers,
I recently attended a radiation training course held at the Lucas Height
facility, so I have some knowledge of the OPAL reactor, but certainly
not a lot. The new reactor first went critical in August last year, and
was officially opened in April of this year. They have certainly had
some issues in regard to opposition from people with anti-nuclear
sentiment, but the need for a nuclear reactor far outweighs the
objections of these people. Unfortunately, the reactor is currently off
line due to difficulties with the fuel assemblies, but should be
operating again towards the start of next year.
I was under the impression that at OPAL the Mo99 was produced by the
transmutation of a target placed in the high neutron flux from the
reactor. I believe that the target was stable Mo, but I could be
incorrect, as I never got to talk to anyone who dealt with this side of
the operation. In addition to production of radioisotopes for medicine
and industry, the facility is the hub for nuclear science and technology
in Australia.
So, OPAL does indeed produced Mo99. However, considering that it is
currently not operational, I suspect that we have some shortages in
Tc99m ourselves. I suspect that they are still producing some Mo99m
using the cyclotron, but this is purely speculation.

Cheers
Chris

--
Chris van den Bergen