[ RadSafe ] Linearity with Tc99m shortage?

Daniel Kane dankane at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 7 11:52:13 CST 2007

Both Tl-201 and Tc-99m labeled compounds are used for the determination of
myocardial perfusion which is a measure of coronary artery disease. Both
agents have their pluses and minuses in my U.S. based (diagnostic nuclear
medicine) consulting practice both are used but Tc-99m labeled agents are
favored.

To determine which agent is used the clinician takes into consideration the
size of the patient, the suspected disease state, the equipment available,
and probably a host of other points that they do not discuss with me.

In the U.S., I would guess that because of the higher energy of Tc-99m along
with the shorter T1/2 (allowing a higher MBq dosage) Tc-99m labeled agents
have the greater favor. Tl-201 and the Tc-99m labeled agents have slightly
different kinetics and extraction fractions and this too if factored into
the clinical decision as to what agent to use when. The 3 day T1/2 half of
Tl-201 limits the MBq that can be used and the lower ~70 keV photon has a
lower resolution in clinical imaging.

Dan Kane
Associates in Medical Physics, LLC
www.medphysics.com