[ RadSafe ] Child cancer risk higher near nuclear plants: study

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Mon Dec 10 20:57:25 CST 2007

Dec. 10

         I'll make a few comments.

         "Our study confirmed that in Germany a connection has been
observed between the distance of a domicile to the nearest nuclear power
plant .... and the risk of developing cancer, such as leukemia, before the
fifth birthday," Suddeutsche Zeitung newspaper quoted the report as
saying.  What *kind* of a connection has been observed?  How strong is it?

According to the Yahoo article, the Suddeutsche Zeitung newspaper said: The
researchers found that 37 children within a 5-kilometer (3-mile) radius of
nuclear power plants had developed leukemia between 1980 and 2003, while
the statistical average during this time period was 17.  (Yahoo does not
have this is quote marks, hence I am assuming that Yahoo is paraphrasing
the Suddeutsche Zeitung.)

         To me, the obvious question is: how long had these children been
living within three miles of the plants?  Presumably, the study explains
this.  It would certainly be helpful to know how long they had been living
within the three mile radius.

         Also from the Yahoo article:  "The newspaper cited an unnamed
radiation protection expert familiar with the study who said its
conclusions understated the problem. He said the data showed there was an
increased cancer risk for children living within 50 kilometers of a
reactor."  Who is the 'unnamed expert'?  Why wasn't he named?  Was he
(she?) one of Rosalie Bertell's or Helen Caldicott's ideological kindred
spirits?  What are the credentials of this "expert"?  Has he published
anything, and if so, what and where?  He sounds like a reincarnation of
John Gofman.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com