AW: [ RadSafe ] Indian Point License Extension

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Wed Dec 12 16:44:49 CST 2007

Thomas,

I followed this thread, without commenting until now. Here comes a comment
which has nothing to do with nuclear safety, etc: I have already written
several times to RADSAFE that nuclear issues are not a case for science but
for politics. The story of Indian Point is another excellent confirmation of
my statement. When politicians have the results of an opinion research, that
opposing nuclear power will give them a few percent more votes for the next
election they will oppose it - and vice versa. This is not true only for the
USA but in all democracies and "pseudo democracies". Then they act according
to the wide spread political credo: "Don't disturb me with facts, I have
made up my mind." Also this is well proven in the case under discussion.

Decisions about nuclear power involves hundreds of stakeholders and - sorry
to say - believe me that scientists are among the least important ones. The
desperate need of our society for energy and electricity is the only driving
force for a anticipated revival of nuclear energy, not the assurance of
scientists that nuclear power is safe.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD