[ RadSafe ] Radiation poisoning treatment

Geo>K0FF GEOelectronics at netscape.com
Sat Dec 15 11:59:34 CST 2007

In the fall of 2007, I attended the local "Folk Life Festival" in Hannibal
MO. It is a typical street
fair in a small rural town. Walking down the crowded street, my pocket rad
scintillator alarm ( PM 1703M - check eBay) went off 3
different times. Twice the target was identified and it was of course a
patient. We assume the 3rd one was as well. Next year
I will also take the GR-135 and identify the nuclide as well.

Ratio of 3 to maybe 1000 people seemed high at the time, especially given
the very rural locale. This event took place on the
weekend, and our local hospital does the PET/CT (F-18)scans on Wednesdays
only because there is no permanent facility, rather
a truck mounted mobile facility that serves the entire region. Tc-99
procedures take place on a daily basis.

On the subject of treatment for radiation, the only one I want to comment on
is the immediate treatment for tritium ingestion- a 6 pack of beer!

On the subject of KI pills for prophylactic treatment for the possibility of
radioiodine exposure, the US Gov't does recognize the efficacy of the
treatment, but recommends a safer, simpler and expedient method: Each person
can dip their index finger into tincture of iodine up to the first joint
only. This method automatically adjust the dosage to the persons size.
Humans take a remarkably small amount of iodine, any extra is not
beneficial. Find the appropriate FEMA recommendations for protocol.

Refer to the MERCK MANUAL, the chapter on "RADIATION REACTIONS AND INJURIES"
for a very brief synopsis of treatments.

One more practical tip, if a lab mishap results in a skin splash of some
radioactive agent, and EDTA RADIAC WASH is not available, use WINDEX to wash
it off.

George Dowell