[ RadSafe ] Easy radiation quiz.

Doug Aitken jdaitken at sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com
Thu Dec 20 22:40:26 CST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: ..... Franz Schönhofer
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2007 6:32 PM
Then he tried to sell used equipment on RADSAFE, later he started a "survey"
on instruments used by RADSAFErs. ?????

I have kept out of this discussion, as I did not feel I could contribute
anything positive...
But the second "classroom installment" which is raising some hackles,
triggered my curiosity as to who is our new "professor" and what are his
motivations....

It seems he has stumbled onto this group and is apparently attempting to
gain some credibility by posing textbook questions, no doubt well researched
through internet mining. But this does not seem to be an effective way of
gaining credibility - rather the opposite, judging by the responses.

And to what motivation? I decided to do a little "internet mining" courtesy
of Google and find that K0FF may have something to do with a Ham Radio call
sign (as GD seems to be active in these circles},  NLNL - New London
Nucleonics Lab seems to be a private hobby shop and there is no "real"
company as GEOelectronics (at least not associated with GD) except as a
storefront for GD's principal activity, which seems to be selling used
electronic equipment and radiation meters through EBay.......
http://stores.ebay.com/geoelectronics
which is owned by:
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=geoelectronics

But, in the spirit of full disclosure, I find another EBay seller quoting
George Dowell as "an expert on these crystals (BaF2 as a neutron
scintillator...)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Scintillation-Detector-Crystal-4-8g-cc-BaF2-Gamma-Clear_
W0QQitemZ150062615919QQihZ005QQcategoryZ78215QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1723.m1
18

But in his defense, GD is very prompt with responses regarding detection
instruments (freely admitting he has called the sales force of the company
in question to get the information). So he is useful.....

But I wish he would not set quizzes for us, as we have plenty to do besides
going back to school.

Reminds me of one of our "experts" on DU, who for many months tried to
bamboozles us with "technical quotes....."
Doug Aitken     Cell phone: 713-562-8585
QHSE Advisor
D&M Operations Support
Schlumberger Technology Corporation

Home office: 713-797-0919  Home Fax: 713-797-1757