[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation Hormesis

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Dec 28 16:43:16 CST 2007

Dec. 28

         My purpose was to buttress the editorial writer's point, to wit
that merely because a substance causes cancer in a laboratory animal does
not mean it will cause cancer in humans.  I can remember Efron giving an
example of a substance being accused of causing a type of cancer in a
laboratory animal and then being banned.  Eventually it was discovered that
the animal being tested had a pre-disposition to cancers (or at least
tumors) of the type which caused the substance to be banned.  I am  certain
that Efron gave more than one such example, although I can only remember
this one.  As I implied, it's an iffy business to extrapolate from
carcinogenicity in animals to carcinogenicity in humans

         You are correct, John, that there are problems with using small
animal models, and 'we' all know that.  The problem is that regulatory
science doesn't care about these niceties.  Regulators justify their jobs
by (ostensibly) protecting people from allegedly dangerous products.  If
there are no products to regulate, what does that mean for the regulators'
jobs?  Some of this isn't about jobs either --- it's about power:  I have
the power to tell someone what to do and by _______ I'm going to tell him
what to do whether he likes it or not, and not only that I'll *make* him do
it.  So, yes, you are correct it's about politics.  One part of politics is
forcing people to do things whether they want to or not.

Steven Dapra