[ RadSafe ] Re: Radiation Hormesis

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Dec 28 18:06:04 CST 2007

Dec. 28

         Speaking only for myself, I do not like administrative law.  Yes I
know, a certain amount is necessary, however we have vastly too much of
it.  If one takes the limited government position, as I do, the EPA should
not exist.  Furthermore, even if I accepted its existence, this agency has
far too much power.  No government agency or department should have so much
power.

         Our system is cumbersome, and it is cumbersome because it is so
large.  Whether or not it works well depends on one's definition of
"well."  To use an extreme example, Joseph Stalin's ideas about working
well are a goodly distance from my ideas --- and the ideas of (I am
certain) all RADSAFErs.  To bring it up to date, the Bush/Cheney definition
of what works well for guarding the nation's security . . . okay, point made.

         As far as appealing administraative law rulings into the Federal
courts is concerned, I am incredulous that Bob Cherry would say such a
thing.  How many layers of administrative law rulings must one slog through
before getting into the Federal courts?  How expensive and time consuming
is this?  Remember that in addition to fighting the battle with the
regulatory agencies the appellant must also continue to run his
business.  This can become very time-consuming.  Besides, by the time the
appellant gets into the Federal courts, since he has already lost his
administrative appeals he arrives in Federal court with an automatic
prejudice against his position.  Plus, he is fighting the limitless wealth
and power of the Federal government.  Sure, companies fight these battles
and sometimes they even win.  Even if the accused wins he is forced to bear
an enormous financial and emotional burden.  I would endorse what Syd says
about "deference."

         Syd also said, "Pity is not what EPA deserves, I fear."  What the
EPA deserves is its abolition.  What it engenders is at best apprehension,
and probably (more often) fear.

Steven Dapra