[ RadSafe ] Doyle and Ryan Gulf war reproductive health paper

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Fri Feb 2 23:04:36 CST 2007

Feb. 2, 2007

	Yesterday I asked James Salsman for a citation to a paper by Doyle and
Ryan.  I located it by doing a web search.  It is "Reproductive health of
Gulf War veterans," by Patricia Doyle, Noreen Maconochie, and Margaret
Ryan; in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B;  361, 571-584;
2006.  PD and NN are with the Department of Epidemiology and Population
Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.  MR is with the US
Department of Defense Center for Deployment Health Research, in San Diego.

	The paper is available online at
<www.bovik.org/du/DoyleRyan/2006.pdf>.  It is 14 pages long with
approximately 50 references.

	According to an un-titled abstract, "In this review we summarize the
scientific literature on reproductive health following deployment to the
first Gulf war by armed service personnel.  All the studies examined had
methodological limitations, making interpretation difficult.  Nonetheless
we conclude that for male veterans there is no strong or consistent
evidence to date for an effect of service in the first Gulf war on the risk
of major, clearly defined, birth defects or stillbirth in offspring
conceived after deployment."  A similar qualification applies to female
veterans.  I have only read the abstract, not the paper.

Steven Dapra
sjd at swcp.com