[ RadSafe ] CNN Gives Asaf Durakovic Star Billing How ro contest tilted reporting?

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 7 19:27:17 CST 2007

Dear Professor Cohen,

Myths and the reality! How can one counter tilted reporting and bias of TV channels and media? Impotent rage does not help either! The recent response of a Commissioner of NRC to Mr Zimmerman's article in the New York Times on Polonium poisoning is published as an "opinion" of a few lines length! The Commissioner's cogent response clearly rebutts some of the core premises of Mr Zimmerman.

We must flood all media with the type of information you have; not many may remember or may even know that we are ingesting that many uranium atoms daily! As a matter of fact, I had recommended your book titled "Before It's too Late: A Scientist's Case for Nuclear Energy"  as soon as I read it. It is really a source book. Some well thumbed copies are available with us now.

A few years ago, a free lancer from India wrote an article in the ChristianScience Monitor totally distorting some statements made by the then Chairman of the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board. The stringer took an appointment with us before writing the piece. He called it off at the last minute as he was busy else where. We offered another chance. He did not turn up. Still he wrote the article with many inaccurate statements.

I contested his views word by word. CSM ignored it. I sent a reminder without success. I got the piece published in the dispatches of  the Press Trust of India, India's premier news agency. Even though they gave enough space to vent my ire, they also did not include my statements which would have undermined the competence and credibility of the CSM stringer!

The wag is now attached to an Indian TV news channel and is involved in sting operations!

Best regards

K.S.Parthasarathy Ph.D

(Formerly
Secretary, Atomic Energy Regulatory Board)

Raja
Ramanna Fellow

Department
of Atomic Energy