[ RadSafe ] Stack Emission Limits

Wesley wesvanpelt at verizon.net
Wed Feb 7 19:38:34 CST 2007

Otto,
This is a question that I have come across many times.
The NRC 10 CFR 20 regulation specifies an annual average concentration, as
you state. But the critical point is that this annual average concentration
is taken at the boundary of the unrestricted area. Often this is taken at
the stack outlet, but not always.
When there is no radioactive emission, the concentration at the stack outlet
is ZERO, whether the fan is running or not! So you do not have to run the
fan all year to take advantage of the annual averaging.

Best regards,
Wes
Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP
Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.