[ RadSafe ] CNN Gives Asaf Durakovic Star Billing How ro contesttilted reporting?

Dan W McCarn hotgreenchile at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 20:16:04 CST 2007

Dear Dr. Parthasarathy, Prof. Cohen and RADSAFErs:

In 1999 I went head-on with an environmental group who offered testimony to
the NRC contesting a uranium mining license.  The group had taken a figure
from one of my publications, but changed the title and explanation to suit
their needs but gave me credit.  I wrote an affidavit which included the
original IAEA publication and the NRC Hearing Officer threw out the
testimony of the group with prejudice after finding numerous intentional
misrepresentations.  When they appealed to an US Appellate court, the issue
was thrown back to the NRC and the group was fined $250,000 for their
actions.

In 2002, I attended a public hearing in Farmington, New Mexico in which the
same group had "published" a new paper showing why U mining was so bad, but
they had again used my figure and again changed the title and explanation
but assigning me credit.  I reminded the 300 or so persons present about the
NRC finding and fines, and that I was completely prepared to sue him for his
intentional misrepresentation of my work.  He shut-up completely and uttered
not a single word further (at least at that meeting).

Unfortunately it takes repeated efforts to stand-up against these
self-proclaimed "experts" and the only way to silence them is through the
courts. Shame never works since they believe that "the means justifies the
ends."

The media is there to sell their own product, so truth frequently takes a
beating.

Dr. Parthasarathy, please give my regards to Dr. Shri Syed Fareeduddin if
you see him.  I hope that he is doing well!  He was my Division Director
(Nuclear Fuel Cycle) while I was at the IAEA.

Dan ii

Dan W McCarn, Geologist
Albuquerque & Houston