[ RadSafe ] RE: The hot and cold of history & journalistic credibility

Susan Gawarecki loc at icx.net
Thu Feb 8 14:55:09 CST 2007

If you dig a little deeper, Timothy Ball is writing on behalf of the
Natural Resources Stewardship Project, whose mission seems to be to
counter environmental advocates of all stripes.  For some reason, there
is a branch of conservatism that strongly resists the scientific
evidence for global warming.

 From the opposite pole (so to speak) at
http://www.exxposeexxon.com/facts/globalwarming.html :
"Meanwhile, ExxonMobil continues to fund millions of dollars to groups
working to confuse the public about the broad scientific consensus on
the causes of and solutions to global warming. ExxonMobil has funded
these 'climate skeptics' some $19 million since 1998."

And as reported in
http://www.bayoubuzz.com/News/Weather/Storm/IPCC_Report_Climate_Change_and_Political_Heat__2732.asp
(and elsewhere, this is just where I could find it online): "One think
tank with close ties to the Bush administration has offered scientists
$10,000 to attack the IPCC [UN Intergovernmental Committee on Climate
Change] report. The American Enterprise Institute, the
ExxonMobile-funded think tank ... has reportedly sent letters to
scientists offering payment to those who undermine the report."

It seems to me you are seeing the concerted effort by a major purveyor
of fossil fuels to counter the evidence of global warming.  Is it
working?  If you now have doubts about global warming because of what
you read in the popular press, I guess it is.  However, the real science
should be the basis for public policy, so I hope you will dig a little
deeper into the technical literature.

For a striking visual representation (the "observed physical phenomena"
that you desire) of the current warming trend, I suggest the National
Snow and Ice Data Center's Long-Term Change Photograph Pairs (collected
and contributed by Bruce F. Molnia, U.S. Geological Survey) at
http://nsidc.org/data/glacier_photo/special_collection.html - "This
special collection features 14 pairs of Alaskan photographs. Each
photographic pair consists of a late-19th or early-20th century
photograph and a 21st century photograph taken from the same location.
The comparative photographs clearly show substantial changes in glacier
position and size and document significant landscape evolution and
vegetative succession."

We KNOW the climate is warming, and yes, there is some debate about the
degree of human contribution to the process.  However the consequenses
of continued warming are dire to coastal communities and to established
agricultural regions (and consequently to the the US' and other nation's
economies), so it makes sense to decrease emissions of the potentially
most harmful greenhouse gases, including by substituting nuclear power
for burning fossil fuels.

Susan Gawarecki