[ RadSafe ] Re: Shipyard worker study

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 8 19:04:02 CST 2007

"-it is seen that the Nones group has a SMR of 1.00. This means it exactly corresponds with the general population data - US B Vital Statistics" Hiserodt

  The controls of the NSWS were like the exposed and the general population.
  However, the rare mesthelioma deaths were 3-5 x for all, perhaps from asbestos exposure. They are so few (18, 8, 10 in >.5, <.5, No extra rem) that it does not affect this vast study with 2,797, 1,168 and 4,453 deaths, respectively.

  Howard Long

Keith Welch <welch at jlab.org> wrote:
  Thanks John,

The things I am wondering about (anecdotal information I've heard over
the years) don't have anything to do with asbestos exposure, but I
suppose that could be an issue. However, I would think since asbestos
illness is fairly well identifiable (from what I understand) that
adjustments could be made for that. It's hard to imagine that the
existence of asbestos illness in shipyard employees makes them
(generally) significantly less healthy than the general population. I
have obtained a copy of the study, and one day, maybe I'll get a chance
to actually go through it and try to learn something. My questions also
had to do with review of the study by Cameron and Sponsler. I don't
recall seeing in that an indication that the unexposed cohort was less
healthy than general population, but I haven't studied it closely or
recently. Does the shipyard study (or any other study) provide a
mortality comparison of the unexposed cohort with "general population"?