AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Exposed "had lower incidences of allcancers - "Environmental -

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Sat Feb 10 07:44:12 CST 2007

John,

apparently you have forgotten that it was you who did the selection. It was you who asked me how I would interpret the reduced cancer incidences and I answered to this request of yours. Regarding the leukaemia values, you again appear to have repressed or forgotten my preceding demonstration that they were utterly (even formally) insignificant.

Regarding my inquiry as to please provide "one or two studies which you consider as presenting the most compelling evidence that low dose and dose-rate exposure to low LET ionizing radiation below say 500 mSv causes cancer" you appear to answer this by pointing to the RERF data as your sole basis for assuming that this may be so. Today you will hardly be able to find a radiobiologist studying low dose-rate effects in the laboratory at any level of biological organization above the molecular who would support the implied claim that the RERF data are relevant to chronic exposure of workers.

Nonetheless, I truly consider continued observation of the ATB survivor cohort as necessary and expedient.

Regarding the natural background radiation as one 'yardstick' to assess chronic radiation exposures we appear to agree. However, you appear to have not yet really appraised the enormous variability of this yardstick.

Kind regards, Rainer