[ RadSafe ] cost per kilowatt ratio

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Sat Feb 10 09:31:21 CST 2007

James, I don't agree with your initial premise that nuclear is more
expensive than other options. This has been discussed for decades now, and
the numbers I have seen, from reputable sources, demonstrate that nuclear
has been very cost effective, ad even more-so over the past decade where
capacity factors have increased with less downtime for outages and other
maintenance. When one considers that electric companies, especially
privately owned companies, are also in the game to earn as much profit on
their investment, why would these companies turn to nuclear if there are
cheaper options? Consider France which is essentially all nuclear. I don't
accept the argument that governments just want to spend money. They too are
wanting to invest in a long time source of energy at minimum cost.

There are others on this list who have actual values for each of the
options, and they most likely have these figures readily available. Once the
figures are provided, the a more meaningful discussion can be held.

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Tel: (949) 419-1000 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/