AW: [ RadSafe ] Orphan Radioactive Materials

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sat Feb 10 11:26:42 CST 2007

Al,

Thank you for your post, which does not mention global warming, LNT, US
politics and the like, but poses a challenge to radiation protection
scientists!!!! I accept this challenge by putting my 2 Euro-cent of worth
(which equals approximately 2.601 US cents...) into the thread.

I have forwarded your request to the norm-tenorm group and to the list
moderator Phil Egidi from where you might receive helpful information.
William Kolb is a very knowledgable person on such devices and uses, but
unfortunately his e-mail address is no longer in my address list, which
might be due to a recent hard-disk crash. He used to participate in RADSAFE,
so if he reads this message he might comment as well. (This my first
Euro-cent...)

Without going to much into detail I wonder about several of your data:

I do not know the instrument you used, but you obviously described some kind
of beta-measurements. However I do not know, what "window open" and "window
closed" implies - does it refer to an absorber? If "yes", what kind of, what
thickness? The mrem/h are even when recalculated to the world-wide used
mSv/h almost frightening. Remember that the EU has a value of 0.1 mSv/y
(yes, per year!) as a maximum dose rate due to ingestion of drinking water.
More suspicious is the mentioning of an activity concentration of Ra-226 -
you cannot measure this by some beta-measurements.

My advice to the company involved and especially the authorities would be to
consult a good laboratory, which can identify the radionuclide(s) involved,
both by gamma-spectrometry (which would identify Co-60 in seconds) and
radiochemical analysis. I know a lot of substances which might be present as
NORM, but I do not expect that any of them would give these readings.
Fortunately for us radioanalytics it is not possible to determine the nature
of a radiation source by looking at it.

I forward to the norm-tenorm group and Phil the pictures of the items
separately.

This was my second Euro-cents worth.

Best regards.

Franz