[ RadSafe ] Operator fined £140,000 for dumping radioactive waste

Jose Julio Rozental joseroze at netvision.net.il
Sat Feb 17 06:29:13 CST 2007

Look at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article1392649.ece
Jose Julio Rozental
joseroze at netvision.net.il
Israel

TIMES ON LINE
February 16, 2007

Operator fined £140,000 for dumping toxic waste
David Lister, Scotland Correspondent
The operators of the Dounreay nuclear plant in Scotland were yesterday fined £140,000 for dumping radioactive waste at a landfill and releasing nuclear fragments into the sea over a 21-year period.

John Crofts, the authority's director of safety, said: "We accept that mistakes were made and regret those mistakes. We share the view that this is an unacceptable legacy of the Dounreay experiment. Our priority has been and will continue to be to minimise the risk to people and the environment."

Campbell Gemmell, chief executive of the Scottish Environment Protection Agency, said: "This case clearly highlights that pollution is avoidable. This outcome serves as a valuable lesson to UKAEA and others that poor waste management practices will not be tolerated."