[ RadSafe ] Wind and Nuclear Capital Costs

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Sat Feb 17 12:19:14 CST 2007

Hi Al,

The answer is #2. :-)  Wind generally gets 20-25% capacity factors.  In fact, wind power designs do not try to optimize on capacity factor. In general, smaller turbines would achieve higher capacity factors for a given site.  But larger turbines produce more kWh by capturing more wind in the high operating speed wind conditions, which optimizes $/kWh.  But it is also pretty clear that $2500/home would not be economic (and few/none would be built) without the 1.8 cents/kWh taxpayer subsidy.

OTOH, it looks like nuclear plants will be $2000++ in capital costs (vs. earlier prelim cost estimates of ~$1200 for Nth-of-a-kind plants).  Of course, unlike our arguments of the past, nuclear plants will only be built with significant subsidies of their own, including a limited 1.8 cents/kWh subssidy.

But nuclear plants continue to have excessive design requirements and overheads (one informed commenter claimed a few months ago that regulatory-driven costs would be as much as 80% of construction costs).  But current increases are mostly due to escalating materials and labor costs as detailed planning progresses.

Regards, Jim