[ RadSafe ] Who is using Radiation Producing Machines?

Ted de Castro tdc at xrayted.com
Mon Feb 19 11:13:14 CST 2007

I accepted the request for a volunteer to come up with a list of
INDUSTRIAL users of Radiation Producing Machines for the HPS  so that
information could be sent letting them know of the up coming topical
midyear in Oakland, CA 1/27-30/08.  See what you get stuck with when you
retire!!

This is going to have to be done as a web search and looking for
"Radiation Producing Machines/Devices" isn't going to do it.

So I am writing to the RADSAFE community to solicit ideas as to who
might be using these things and maybe some leads - be it companies,
businesses or even suggested search terms for Google - or whatever
search engine.

Industrial uses are extensive and not always obvious - for instance -
had it not been for a severe accident a few years back I certainly would
not have known that the newspaper printing industry uses a radiation
producing machine (electron accelerator) for drying ink!  But I am
equally sure that not ALL printers do this.

There are other somewhat subtle users - like airport security,
paint/adhesive curing and gem enhancement.

The .gov .edu and .mil contacts are essentially US in the HPS and here
on RADSAFE - and so that is not what I am looking for.

So - here on RADSAFE I thought I might get some suggestions from those
who produce these machines.

I would guess that you regulators out there are in the best position to
have this kind of information from your licensing operations - those
lists alone would go a very long ways towards completing this task.
HOWEVER, I would guess that it is not allowed to distribute such
information and I'd guess that few states/nations have such lists
publicly accessible.  But any allowed input from regulators would be
very much appreciated.

This is an international search - so anyone with ideas or leads please
let me know.

I think responses should be emailed to me directly as the entire list
may not be interested in seeing this.

Thanks for your help.

Ted de Castro