AW: [ RadSafe ] FW: tritium info

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Mon Feb 19 16:52:22 CST 2007

Dear RADSAFErs,

Can anybody enlighten a European, who moreover is forced since about 15
years to use SI units, about IEER? At first sight the website forwarded by
my "good old foe and friend" Norm Cohen looks to be a reputable site, but
when reading the first sentences one discovers that this is the same old
story of totally uneducated and ignorant wannabe scientists. Interesting
that obviously most of the presented articles come from one single person, a
few others assisting. I share Stewart Farbers opinion about the tritium
issue - the claims and the comparisons made are simply ridiculous. In the
early sixties tritium was raining down on our heads in concentrations of
many orders of magnitude higher than any CANDU-reactor would emit in its
cooling water, but I have not heard of people dying by the millions.

These are old stories, but what bothers me is the main article about the
"standard man" and that radiation protection standards in the USA would be
only directed to this phantom and disregarding the "most vulnerable ones".
Is this true? I cannot believe it, because in the European Union we have
very elaborate appendices in legislation, where the dose factors are listed
for practically every radionuclide and for every age category. Since the EU
usually follows the international findings and recommendations I have to
assume that this is IRPA and IAEA standard. Would the USA not follow their
recommendations?

Thanks for any information!

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD