[ RadSafe ] ~120 lb KCl in bed and/or ~ 3 lb Thoriated welding rods in seat for hormetic dose

howard long hflong at pacbell.net
Tue Feb 20 12:13:09 CST 2007

3, 40lb bags of KCl are under the table in my office, 6' away.
  I am going to put them under my mattress for a hormetic dose.
  I find,
  at 6" the PalmRad reads 0.040 mR/hr
   (and, right on them, it reads 0.050 mR/hr
  vs 0.013 mR/hr on my desk),
  This would supplement ~ 0.1 rem/year, I calculate, sleeping 8 hours/d over them.

  My 5 lb of scrap thoriated welding rod belt reads 0.147 mRd/hr at 1 " above it.
  But It is too clumsy to wear much.

  2 lb 10 oz (40), packaged new rods on my office seat read 0.162 mR/hr
  on the pillow, 1" above, where I sit average 3 hours/day, 300 d/year
  So ~ 0.2 rem/year (~1,000 hours in that chair) would also be
     an amount similar to the Taiwan apt or NSW exposure,
  much less than residents of Ramsar, Iran (see online article in search), .

  Howard Long

  "Flanigan, Floyd" <Floyd.Flanigan at nmcco.com> wrote:
  Well ... I ran a little test yesterday. I took a 50 pound bag of Ice
Melt brand ice melting compound which contains Potassium Chloride,
through a Gamma 60 portal monitor just for fun. It lit up every detector
like a Christmas tree. Now ... if 50 pounds of the stuff won't pass a
Gamma 60 set @ 45nCi ... what kind of background dose rate could be
expected in the vicinity of a 20,000 ton pile of the stuff?

Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.
Sr. H.P. Analyst
Prairie Island