[ RadSafe ] Internal Dose From Eating KCl

Muckerheide, Jim (CDA) Jim.Muckerheide at state.ma.us
Tue Feb 20 20:59:50 CST 2007

Hi Bill,

Even though K is homeostatically controlled, the "normal" range is significant, like 3 to 5 mmol/L in adults. (I think there's also a male-female difference.)  Annual doses are variously reported as 25 - 40 mrem/yr.

I've taken K supplements when K is too low.  Otherwise, you can notice the deficiency, eat bananas, drink orange juice, low sodium V* has almost a gram in 8 ozs.  With a significant addition of K, it can take some time to re-establish a "normal" level, producing a small dose increase (and a large sudden dose kills you by interfering your heart rhythm, producing a heart attack :-).

Regards, Jim