[ RadSafe ] Please Critique This Reply by Rosalie Bertell

Marcel Schouwenburg m.schouwenburg at tudelft.nl
Wed Feb 21 05:11:51 CST 2007

Daer Mrs/Ms Bertelli,

The ICRP Respiratory Tract Model can be apllied to particles with a
diameter < 0.1 micron. For this purpose the model describes a.o.
fractional deposition in various compartments of the respiratory tract
for particles down to a an Activity Median Thermodynamic Diameter, AMTD
(to be used in stead of the AMAD because of the small particle size) of
0.001 micron. So, the model can also be used for particles in a DU
aerosol with a size between 0.001 micron and 0.1 micron.

Reference
ICRP-66 (1994), Human Respiratory Tract Model for Radiological
Protection. ICRP-Publication 66, Annals of the ICRP 24(1-3), Elsevier
Science LTD, Oxford, pp. 49-54.

With kind regards,

Marcel Schouwenburg
Head / Lecturer Training Centre Delft, Health Physicist, expert level 2
RadSafe Moderator & Listowner
National Centre for Radiation Protection (Dutch abbr. NCSV)

Delft University of Technology
Faculty of Applied Sciences / Reactor Institute Delft
Mekelweg 15
NL - 2629 JB  DELFT
The Netherlands
T: +31 (0)15 27 86575