[ RadSafe ] Blood Irradiatora: X-rays versus Cs-137

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 11:32:20 CST 2007

Salah,
I have never seen an x-ray blood irradiator.  (I have
seen blood irradiated using a medical treatment
accelerator, but that was due to the limited need for
sterilized blood at that facility.)  Apparently, there
are some x-ray units for sale.
http://www.radsource.com/products.html
http://www.mds.nordion.com/documents/elibrary/blood-research-irradiators/Raycell/Raycell%20Sales%20Brochure.pdf

As for Cs-137 irradiators, they are very simple units
to operate, use less electricity, and, I would expect,
require less maintenance.
http://www.seedos.com/biobeam_blood_irradiator.htm
http://www.cisusinc.com/ibl.htm
http://www.mds.nordion.com/products/blood-research-irradiators-b.htm

1.  Either type is shielded so that exposure to staff
is minimal, if non-existant.

2.  There will be initial cost, but with x-ray
irradiators there may be more for maintenance and
repair.  With any unit, you should look into a
maintenace contract.

3.  All units should be able to deliver about 25 Gy to
the blood.

4.  I would expect that operational costs of the
Cs-137 irradiators to be lower than that for the x-ray
type.

One consideration you did not mention was security
against terrorists.  We have had to deal with that
issue, so it is not insurmountable issue.

--- Marcel Schouwenburg <m.schouwenburg at tudelft.nl>
wrote:

> Posted on behalf of Salah Shubair (e-mail:
> skandil at hotmail.com).
>
> Please send any replies directly to the above
> mentioned e-mail address.
> A copy to RadSafe is appreciated.

> Dear RadSafers,
>
> We are in phase of purchasing a blood
> irradiaotor,but we are concern
> about the difference betweeen the X-ray based or cs
> 137 cs based blood
> irraditor.
> Could you help me in the followings comparsion:
> 1.Saftey for our staff
> 2.The cost(approximate cost)
> 3.Efficacy of each
> 4.the running cost of each one approximate costs of
> each,and what kid of
> disposable or spare parts need eash one.
> 5.supplier and manufactereur of each type (european
> and amercian companies)
>
> I will be glad for any one could advice..
>
> Regards,
>
> Salah Shubair
> UMT -Jordan
> Rabieh,Amman
> +962 79 5511000

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist