AW: [ RadSafe ] New Airport X-Rays Scan Bodies, Not Just Bags

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sat Feb 24 15:14:37 CST 2007

Stewart,

Thank you for this article forwarded. The reaction from two persons known
for notoriously downplaying and ridiculing radiation protection legislation
should not prevent you from further messages! They rather seem to confirm
that they have not read your message.

The questions and the conclusions about radiation dose should be reverted:
Do you want to fly and accept the considerable dose during your flight? But
it should not be, whether somebody, who flies should accept another source
of dose, however small it might be.

It seems that the basic principle "ALARA" - as low as reasonably achievable-
has been forgotten by many posters to RADSAFE. This is still the basic
principle for many legislations and especially the European one. Should I
draw from the two persons reaction that this principle is not valid in the
USA? Hopefully not.

This topic is not only interesting from the radiation protection point of
view, but also from the fact, that it is terribly disgusting that passengers
would be exposed nude to some screening staff. Come on, do not point out
"technologies" to shield "private parts". It would and obviously is already
a shame that such investigations are considered and even conducted.

As a European I simply wonder, how far the "paranoia" will go. I flew just a
few days after the 11 September (commonly called 9/11 in the USA) to
Brussels and a week later back to Vienna and we missed at the conference
(NORM III) several important contributors and I especially on, whom I had
wanted to meet since decades. About a month later I went with my younger son
to Honolulu to visit a conference there and of course we flew back again. So
please accept that a radiation protection professional like me believes in
the concept of "probability". Why do others not rely on it?

Food for thought and - hopefully - discussions without flaming.

Best regards,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.