[ RadSafe ] ethics in research question

Maury Siskel maurysis at peoplepc.com
Wed Feb 28 18:12:50 CST 2007

After sucking my thumb peacefully for months while reading about this
tempest, I finally looked at Salsman's reference at:
http://www1.va.gov/gulfwar/docs/GulfWarNov03.pdf

Yes, the attribution to Dr. Kang is correct. But that remains far from a
complete view of the situation. Follows several quotes regarding other
studies (preponderance of evidence?) of this subject. Then from the same
reference and to add some context, I've added a quote about similar
studies of ALS among Gulf War veterans.

These flaps by Salsman do not help veterans, but may promote his
popularity with anti-war, anti-nuclear folks.
Best,
Maury&Dog          (maurysis at peoplepc.com)

2.2  x  2  =  4.4
and
2  +  2  =  4 (except for large values of 2)
============================

" ...That study also reported greater rates of a birth defect in which
the urethra terminates in an abnormal position in the penis, but only
among infants conceived by female Gulf War veterans. However, the
overall rate of birth defects was not higher among Gulf War veterans.

The Navy researchers acknowledged in their publication certain
limitations of their study, including an inability to determine if the
excess birth defects were caused by inherited or environmental factors,
or were due to chance from various causes.

Also, several previous similar large studies have shown no statistically
significant increase in birth defects among children born to Gulf War
veterans.

The DoD-funded, Navy study does not provide solid proof that children of
Gulf War veterans are at higher risk of birth defects because the
results could easily have resulted from chance alone."

"At present, the Department of Veterans Affairs does not have the
authority to provide medical treatment to the children of Gulf War
veterans. In those cases where VA provides treatment, for example to
children with spina bifida born to Vietnam veterans, it required special
legislative authority from Congress."
________________
Re: ALS incidence:
The ALS study below found statistically significant differences, but
great jumpin' butterballs; in this one the expected value was 33 cases,
observed was 40 cases --  out of 700 thousand people!!! There does
remain a distinction between statistical significance and operational
significance!

" ...It is important to keep in mind that ALS is a very rare disease,
and that 40 cases diagnosed among the nearly 700,000 veterans who served
in the theater of operations in 1990-91 suggests that veterans are still
very unlikely to get this fatal disease. ..."