[ RadSafe ] Re: (Taiwan Apts) NSWS exposed lived longer (0.76 mortality rate!)

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 14:05:02 CST 2007

Jerry,
You didn't answer my questions:

Assuming you sent the information before Dr. Cameron
died, what did he conclude?  Of course, the results of
the NSWS were questioned so what does that indicate?
Poor epidemiological studies should be consided good
enough if the results are what you want?

--- Jerry Cuttler <jerrycuttler at rogers.com> wrote:

> I looked at the Sponsler and Cameron paper in Int.
> J. Low Radiation, Vol. 1, No. 4, 2005, and I found
> the following sentence in Section 4 on Page 472.
>
> 4 Discussion
> The Summary of the Final Report did not mention the
> 24% lower SMR from all causes of the cohort (p <
> 10-16) compared to the controls. A 24% lower SMR
> implies a 2.8-year increase in average lifespan.
>
> So I likely asked Bernie to calculate the life
> extension corresponding to 24% lower SMR (not a 40%
> reduction).
>
> Jerry

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist