[ RadSafe ] OSHA and EDE

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Sun Jan 14 14:44:13 CST 2007

Thanks to those who responded to my request for the current status of
OSHA regulations with respect to EDE calculations. Apparently OSHA
still does not permit the use of EDE. Perhaps it's time for ACR, AAPM
and other organizations with a vested interest in this ruling will
once again approach OSHA to revise its regulations to be consistent
with other state and federal agencies, and allow the use of NCRP 122
approved methodologies. It is a shame that physicians and
technologists can not take advantage of dose weighting methodologies.
Unfortunately, this ruling forces many individuals to simply not wear
personnel monitoring devices when their cumulative dose approaches
regulatory limit (told to me my several individuals). Reasonable
regulatory decisions would actually lead to better radiation
practices my those who are exposed to higher doses from these
applications.

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/