[ RadSafe ] SI Units

Sandy Perle sandyfl at cox.net
Mon Jan 15 18:05:58 CST 2007

Hi John,

I do not believe that the US will adopt the SI units any time soon.
Ideally it would make sense to transition to the SI units,
understanding that we are among very few in numbers that continue to
use the non-SI unit, and, globalization within the market and
scientific community is getting smaller all the time.

There are many issues to contend with a transition. It is more than
the work-place understanding the units. I do believe, and we have
seen, serious incidents occur whereby workers did not understand the
data, and, mis-judegements occurred, in some cases with significant
consequences. Assuming that these issues are eliminated, there are
the significant administrative and economic costs to contend with.
Just looking a the NPPs, training programs, revision of all SOPs,
postings, manuals and other documents would require revision at
substantial cost. There would be the issues with existing
instrumentation and read-out devices.

I am not implying that all of these issues can't be mitigated to some
degree. I recognize that others have had to go through this
transition as well, and successfully implemented the new programs.
One just needs to be aware of all that must be done and determine the
impact as well as the time-frame to accomplish. Again, I just don't
see that this transition will occur due to the economic burden, and,
more importantly, there is nobody really pushing for this transition.

Regards,

Sandy

On 15 Jan 2007 at 15:47, John R Johnson wrote:

> Bob
>
> Does that the fact that you "feel that SI units are more of a safety hazard than a value" mean that you will always think this. I don't agree! I think that having two "systems" is the problem.
>
> FYI, I worked in the US (at PNL, now PNNL) for ~11 years, and was almost completely "SI" before I moved in 1998. I heard (many times!) that the US would be SI "soon" and many US scientist/technical people are.
>
> To all Radsafers; when do you think soon should/will occur?
>
> John
>  _________________
> John R Johnson, Ph.D.
> *****
> President, IDIAS, Inc
> 4535 West 9-Th Ave
> Vancouver B. C.
> V6R 2E2
> (604) 222-9840
> idias at interchange.ubc.ca

Sandy Perle
Senior Vice President, Technical Operations
Global Dosimetry Solutions, Inc.
2652 McGaw Avenue
Irvine, CA 92614

Tel: (949) 296-2306 / (888) 437-1714 Extension 2306
Fax:(949) 296-1144

Global Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com/
Personal Website: http://sandy-travels.com/