[ RadSafe ] Non lead based apparel in Diagnostic Radiology

FISHER Spencer -NUCLEAR spencer.fisher at opg.com
Wed Jan 17 06:00:21 CST 2007

I have two issues with non lead based RPE in Diagnostic Radiology.
1)While it is good for scattered radiation, it is not good for direct
radiation.  What is to stop a pregnant Nuclear Medicine tech from using
one of these aprons to protect from 140 keV Tc-99m?  What happens when a
tech uses an apron to shield a patient from part of the beam? What
happens when a caregiver assists a patient by holding them while wearing
this apron, but may be partially in the direct beam?
2)I did some test on Xenolite, 20 or so years ago before Dupont
purchased the rights to it.  At that time I found that if you looked at
a radiograph of Xenolite, you found a salt and pepper immage.  That is,
there are a lot of holes in the apron, and a lot of dense areas.
Overall, there is a dose reduction, but some spots have no protection.
This contrasted greatly with a radiograph of lead.  The product may have
improved over the years.

Spencer M. Fisher
Health Physicist- Field Support
Radiation Protection Department
1549 Victoria St. E.
Whitby, Ont
L1N 9E3
905-430-2215 ext 3290
Fax: 905-430-8583
Pager: 416-372-9353
Cell Phone: 416-508-7216

THIS MESSAGE IS ONLY INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE INTENDED
RECIPIENT(S) AND MAY CONTAIN INFORMATION THAT IS PRIVILEGED,
PROPRIETARY AND/OR CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission,
dissemination, distribution, copying, conversion to hard copy or
other use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient and have received this message in error,
please notify me by return e-mail and delete this message from your
system. Ontario Power Generation Inc.