[ RadSafe ] Re: SI units

Mark Sonter sontermj at tpg.com.au
Fri Jan 19 02:37:55 CST 2007

Deary me!

I remember as a kid learning 12 inches equals 1 foot, 3 ft equals 1 yard
5-and-a-half yards one rod pole or perch, 16 ounces equals 1 pound, 2240
pounds one ton, etc etc; not to mention 32 poundals one pound force, and
something about slugs...and horsepower, BTUs, bushels, and acre-feet;
but maybe I'm wrong.

No wonder NASA lost the Mars lander, if it was trying to work in both
imperial and metric....

And then at university came the blessed discovery of first the cgs
system of units and then the kgs system, now SI.

Then when I was teaching physics in Papua New Guinea, we, following
Australia, 'went metric', and at last gallons (two types, US and
Imperial), ounces (two types, Troy and Avoidupois), Fahrenheit, psi, and
a host of other awful units were rendered obsolete.

Then I went off and did my Medical Physics, and learned pCi and rem,
and, God help us, Roentgens; and then I got beaten up by a curmudgeonly
state regulator who refused to talk in other than Bq and Sv (and rightly
so, as SI was now enshrined in national legislation).  There were a few
cases of mixed up units and accidentally ablated thyroids (not on my
watch: I was counting mSv in a uranium mine..)

All I can say to our US colleagues is: try to embrace and encourage the
transition: make it as fast as possible: other countries have done it;
it will in the end save you immense brain energy on essentially wasted
work; and you (and the rest of the world) will then ultimately breathe a
huge sigh of relief.

Mark Sonter