AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: Exposed "had lower incidences of all cancers - "Environmental -

John Jacobus crispy_bird at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 20 10:04:58 CST 2007

Rainer,
I am aware of that interpretation about the
significans of the of SIR values.  That being said,
are the values for reduced cancer incidents also
insignificant?  Or does the relevance of the numbers
not important if you have a political view the
radiation is good?

Cherry-picking data is common.  It is used by those
who are anti-radiation and who are looking for a
hormetic effect.  Nevertheless, one needs to consider
all of the studies, and not just one report.

--- Rainer.Facius at dlr.de wrote:

> John,
>
> if you were able to properly interpret the numbers
> given by you, you would not claim that they prove an
> increased incidence, not to speak of a causal
> relation.
>
> The 95% SIR confidence interval for leukaemia (all
> types) is (0.85, 2.12, 4.37), i.e., utterly
> insignificant.
> For malignant lymphoma it is (1.01, 3.13, 7.29),
> i.e., essentially insignificant again.
>
> If you ask professional epidemiologists, you will
> find a consensus that in order for an association to
> be considered established by such studies, the
> confidence interval for standard mortality or
> incidence ratios should exclude the value of three
> or at least two, i.e., the _lower_ confidence limit
> should be above that value. Findings below that
> value at best can serve as a rationale to spend
> money on a repetition of a study.
>
> Kind regards, Rainer
>
> Dr. Rainer Facius
> German Aerospace Center
> Institute of Aerospace Medicine
> Linder Hoehe
> 51147 Koeln
> GERMANY
> Voice: +49 2203 601 3147 or 3150
> FAX:   +49 2203 61970

“We must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent or omniscient — that we are only 6 percent of the world’s population; that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94 percent of mankind; that we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity; and therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.”
-- John F. Kennedy

-- John
John Jacobus, MS
Certified Health Physicist