AW: [ RadSafe ] Why some divers want to work in ...... SI Units in India?

parthasarathy k s ksparth at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 02:58:20 CST 2007

Dear Dr Schoenhofer,

My apologies for not reading your message promptly. From the title of your message, I did not realize that your query was on SI units.

I have only limited contact with the countries such as thailand, Bangladesh, Korea in the region; but I had occasion to meet  scientists from these countries during many review meetings and conferences (some of them in Vienna) I have attended.I believe that everyone without exception use SI units.

Yes, Indian scientists accepted SI units without much difficulty. Old timers (the species have almost vanished!!)are still comfortable with roentgens, rads and curies! Occasionally they argue that many are not able to comprehend SI units.

The major incentive for change came from insistence of journals. I belong to a generation of scientists who competed among themselves by publishing articles in international journals. Initially, some of these journals wanted that we must use SI units or use both units.

I was the editor of the AMPI Medical  Physics Bulletin the earlier publication of the Association of Medical Physicists of India for several years.The Bulletin is now a journal.  I was also in the editorial board of the bulletin of Indian Association of Radiation Protection and other publications.We have always encouraged the use of SI units. In 1975, two senior colleagues wrote an interesting paper titled " SI Units for radiation measurements:For or Against" in the Indian Journal of Radiology.

I was very much involved in sorting out the "riddle" of rad and gray, rem and sievert, curie and becquerel. By about the middle of the eighties most of us were  conversant with  SI units. Once I reproduced in the AERB Newsletter, the publication from the Atomic Energy Regulatory Board, a few quotes from newspapers and journals to illustrate their confusion over radiation units. Two leading dailies in India used "gm" of radiation in place of rad!  I could not understand till date the basis of this confusion.

It was amusing to realize that there was confusion at all levels. When "Nature" wrote an an article to clarify the position, it defined "curie" incorrectly.(Nature,1985) For "The washigton Post",radiation and radioactivity were synonymous!(The Washington Post,May 2,1986)

"The Nuclear Engineering International" bemoaned that even experts seemed a little unsure at times. July 1986 issue of the journal stated thus:

"Chernobyl is off the front pages at last, but the confusion over the units in which it is measured lingers on... Data on contamination was rapidly made available in European countries after the accident, but nobody in the media or the public understood what the blast of becquerels, sieverts, rems, absorbed doses, dose equivalents (and from the Soviet Union itself, roentgens, of all things) really meant.Even the experts seemed a little unsure at times."