[ RadSafe ] KI tablets for persons doing radioiodinations with I-125

Wes WesVanPelt at Verizon.net
Thu Jan 25 09:52:40 CST 2007

Radsafers,

I am curious to know if any radiation safety programs make use of potassium
iodide (KI) in the event of an accidental (or routine?) uptake of I-125 when
handled in the lab. This would be most likely when performing
radioiodination reactions to label proteins or antigens.

Issues I am thinking about include:
	Possible adverse side effects from KI in some individuals.
	Is a physician's prescription needed?
	Would a "patient consent" form be advisable or required?
	At what action level (intake or radiation dose) would KI be
administered?
	Would blocking thyroid uptake with cold KI invalidate thyroid
bioassay measurements?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Wes