[ RadSafe ] Radioiodinations

Mccormick, Luke I luke.mccormick at dhs.gov
Thu Jan 25 10:56:27 CST 2007

In a past life I worked in University research settings, and the RSO had
set up a Thyroid counting station for our researchers to come in once a
week when using I-125. I question whether checking the reading at the
thyroid was correct. Most of the I-125 we got in was in the form of a
radiolabeled chemicals such the DNA precursurs. My understanding of uptake
is that the moleule will follow its pathway differently than the element.
i.e. instead of going to the thyroid like iodine would,  it might go whole
body or concentrate in another specific organ. Is my thinking correct?
Luke McCormick