AW: RE: [ RadSafe ] Enriched uranium incident a ploy -news article

Franz Schönhofer franz.schoenhofer at chello.at
Sat Jan 27 13:27:15 CST 2007

Dear Dan,

Thank you for your well founded message on this topic! You remind me that I
had intended to contact you for a long time, especially because of your
"leoben" e-mail address which was surprising. I may ask you to forgive me
for not having done it until now, but my excuses are: I have been last year
away from Vienna for more than half of the year, mostly in Poland, but as
well in Lithuania, in Oxford, at NPL in London, Bratislava and most recently
in Lund, Sweden. Another excuse is that just before the turn of the year my
computer refused to follow my commands and a very large number of data,
including RADSAFE-messages was lost.

Believe me, I burst into laughter, when I read that you did not consult
"Kronen-Zeitung"! This is a proof of your knowledge about Austria! I have
not time enough to follow the most "important" newspapers, but I sometimes
question the scientific credibility of both "Presse" and "Standard", because
they usually simply reprint what has come in from press agencies.

Regarding the probability of the story being correct: Maybe the attempt of
somebody to sell "nuclear grade uranium" has a 5% of being correct. The
probability that those 100 g or whatsoever were really nuclear grade, not to
talk about the chemical form, because metallic uranium is pyrophore and will
incinerate on contact with air have to be questioned!!!!! The story is
getting into more and more unbelievable speculations and therefore it should
be regarded more than 90% as unconfirmed speculations.

On a personal question I will contact you separately.

Best wishes,

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer, PhD
MinRat i.R.