[ RadSafe ] Physics of UO3 gas

Dale Boyce daleboyce at charter.net
Sat Jan 27 14:20:47 CST 2007

To get atoms (I think you mean molecules) bouncing into things you have to
form them first. In order for UO3 gas to exist you first have to input
enough energy to vaporize it.

Let me set up the calculation, and hopefully a couple of other physicists
will do the calculation independently to see if we get the same result. I'll
let them look up the inputs.

You have two available energy sources. The kinetic energy of the bullet, and
the heat of formation from the burning uranium.

You have several energy sinks. You have the heat capacity of the uranium
and/or oxide. This soaks up a little energy raising the temperature. to the
melting point. Then you have to supply a lot energy to melt the material.
This is known as the heat of fusion. Note that you also have to replicate
these energy sinks for the steel/whatever that gets zapped in the collision.

You then have to heat the liquid to the vaporization point (more heat
capacity). After that you have to supply the heat of vaporization to form
the gas.

Now when I plugged in the numbers from my CRC Handbook. I ran out of energy
before the UO3 even melted, much less became a gas. Moreover, I believe I
used conservative numbers.  I overestimated the heat of formation and
underestimated the heat of fusion.

The heat of fusion of uranium metal is about an order of magnitude greater
than the heat of formation of UO3. The heat of formation is as large or
larger than the kintic energy of the bullet. Moreover, the heat of fusion of
UO3 should be a few times that of uranium metal.

I picked 1000 m/sec as the velocity of the round. Probably not too far off.

BTW a long time ago I saw a small uranium fire.  You get a nice bright
sparkel somewhat white,but that still has a noticible yellow cast. The smoke
falls instead of rises. This indicates two things. Because of the color the
temperature is probably around 1000C. Consistent with it being at or near
its melting point temperature. BTW A substance will remain at its melting
point temperature until enough energy is added to go through the transition
to liquid.  Again this energy is substantial. Second the falling smoke
indicates cooled particulates. If it was in a vapor phase there would be a
glowing plume well up into the blue or hotter color range.

Bottom line is the stuff is going to be very hot and hold a lot of energy as
heat, but gas isn't physically plausible.

Noises Off!

Dale