[ RadSafe ] DU - Measurement of DU Particle Spread - An early red-herring

Eric D edaxon at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 28 22:13:33 CST 2007

Rodger Helbig wrote:

>>I think the airborne migration of DU is a factor of particle size. I
first learned about it from a GE physicist, Len Dietz, who was measuring
it more than 10 miles from its source. He found it by accident. He then
developed a method of distinguishing environmental DU from natural
sources.<<

This is one of the early "red-herrings" that was pursued by the anti-DU
crowd.  The issue as always is dose.  As these particles spread their
concentration rapidly diminishes as does the dose.

The fact that they can be measured is more a testament to the rapid advances
in technology than it is of any hazard that might exist.  Just think of all
of the other trace elements we can measure.

I followed the Dietz work and all that was determined was that it could be
measured.  Like many of the other papers published by the activists, the
science behind the measurement techniques is usually solid but it is used as
a smoke-screen to get outlandish claims published either in the introduction
or in the discussion.

For those of you who are peer reviewers or editors, I would request that you
pay very close attention to what is usually considered the throw-away part
of a paper - the introduction.

Eric G. Daxon, PhD, CHP