[ RadSafe ] Mangano's New Study -the nuclear debate & public impact

Steven Dapra sjd at swcp.com
Tue Jul 3 21:00:58 CDT 2007

July 3

         Thank you, Stewart for a very informative message.

         It just slays me the way anti-nukers claim industrialists have so
much power and run roughshod over the little guy.  Then we see examples
like this of rank cowardice.  Where do these oh-so-powerful chairmen of the
board obtain their backbones of over-cooked spaghetti?

Steven Dapra

At 12:42 PM 7/3/07 -0400, stewart farber wrote:
>Hi all,

[edit]

>In another situation, while working for another utility corporate office,
>I was asked to debate an anti-nuclear physician who had made exagerated
>and worthless claims about excess leukemia due to radiation exposure at
>the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard --later proven totally false.  I requested
>permission in written form per company procedure, to do this sort of thing
>on my own time -perhaps one day every few months, where I would make it
>clear that any opinions I expressed were my personal views, and time would
>be taken off only with the permission of my supervisor so as not to
>conflict with work duties.
>
>As a result of this [what to me seemed like a simple]  request, my
>employer at the time summoned me into a meeting with the Chairman of the
>company --a dozen attorneys at his side,  to make it quite clear that if
>it ever got back to him that I made any statement in any public forum that
>could be considered as pro-nuclear, I would no longer by an employee of
>this State Power entity. When I asked the Chairman if I might ask "why?" I
>was told that the Governor of that very large Northeastern State was not
>in favor of nuclear energy and that if any of the Power entity staff made
>a pro-nuclear statement, it would embarass the Chairman of this company
>with the Governor to whom he reported.  Hmmm.
>
>This ostrich approach was being pursued by this utility even tho' it had
>several nuclear stations which were subject to constant criticism by the
>public, and in the media -- presures that were adding greatly to costs,
>and to many vocal calls to shut down one of their units.
>
>Efforts to counter anti-nuclear activities has to be long-term and
>creative, something which the nuclear industry has shown little
>inclination to do.

[edit]